Monday, August 16, 2010

Waluigi Wins!

As talked about here I'm going to Fan eXpo and was looking for a moustached costume. Almost everyone who chimed in on the subject thought Waluigi was the best of the provided options. Andrew kept trying to find something better (Von Kaiser from the Punch-Out series was his best find) and the King of All Cosmos holds a special place in my imagination. I don't have any muscles at all though, so I really couldn't pull off the bare-chested beatdown look. If the thought of pastel spandex was bad, this would probably be worse. Waluigi wears a lot of baggy clothes!

So, with Waluigi as the winner, what do I need? Well, the Mario Wiki describes Waluigi as follows:

"Waluigi usually wears a purple undershirt under black overalls, orange shoes, and a purple cap that covers short, brown hair. He has a large, pink nose, a thin mustache which is straight (horizontal) and pointed up at the edge (forming an L much as Wario's forms a W), and gray eyes, surrounded by rings that appear to be a result of insomnia. He also has long legs which sometimes work to his advantage in sports. The yellow symbol on his hat and gloves is a vertical mirror image of Luigi's "L" which forms a "Γ", just as Wario wears a "W" in contrast to Mario's "M". The "Γ" is actually the Greek letter Gamma, which is pronounced similarly to "G" (as in go)."

I placed an order with a Hong Kong company last week for a hat and gloves and they came in today. With the time zone difference they would have gotten the order on Thursday, so the fact it was here in Canada early this morning was pretty remarkable.


The hat's not perfect (it's a cross between a newsboy and a baseball cap while Waluigi's is more of a greek fisherman) but it's pretty close and it's definitely a lot better than anything I could have done on my own. The gloves are puffy and clearly designed as Marioesque gloves but are pure white so there's no yellow gamma on them. It'll be nearly impossible to play board games in them (small wooden cubes + big puffy fingers = disaster) but overalls should have a pocket in them for storing gloves. What's left after that?

  • purple undershirt - matching the hat colour may be tricky (guess I need to wear it to the mall one day) but should be doable
  • black overalls - getting big yellow buttons might not happen, but I figure a Mark's Work Wearhouse or some such should have black overalls of some kind
  • orange shoes - I actually looked in every store in the nearby mall and the only orange shoes I found of any kind were for a 4 year old. I think my best bet is to go to the Crocs store, they have lots of ugly shoes...
  • purple cap - CHECK!
  • large, pink nose - I may try to find some Hallowe'en makeup
  • thin moustache - CHECK!
  • grey, insomnia eyes - my eyes aren't grey but I can definitely get the baggy part down
  • white gloves - maybe I should find some fabric paint and add my own gammas, probably I will just run with what I have
  • pointy ears - CHECK!
A trip downtown to find some Crocs, a shirt, and some overalls and I should be mostly good to go. Then I should probably find some games he's in and play them to get mannerisms of some kind down. Some internet searching did find that he pulls out the D-X crotch chop when he scores a goal in both of the Mario Soccer games. I haven't watched wrestling in 10 years or so, but back in the day I was a big D-X fan so I get a real kick out of Waluigi copying them.

No comments: