Thursday, August 05, 2010

WBC 2010 Day 5 Summary

Woke up 'early', played Vegas Showdown at 11, came 3rd. Scores were 50-49-49 and a lot of things conspired against me to cause the loss, though a lot of things went well too.

Ate at Applebees.

Played the Factory Manager heat and got a pretty solid win in. May try to make the semifinals, but it conflicts with Lord of the Rings: the Confrontation so I'm not sure.

Played an Agricola heat. Won a game featuring David Platnick and a couple other people. Platnick ended the game with 7 stone rooms and a half-timbered house but he had a lot of negative points due to not having any fields, grain, vegetables, sheep, or cows. I ended up winning by 5, including a full 4 points for cows of my own. Unfortunately there were 17 games played in this heat alone and top 16 overall advance, so I need to find a way to play another round if I want to make the semis it would seem.

Played Facts in Five. Lost pretty badly but had fun. Managed to get points for randomly guessing that there has been a Pope Steve and a Pope Theodore.

Ate at Cracker Barrel, which ended up being rather amusing. They seated us and it took them 5 minutes to notice we didn't have a server. I think the girl who ended up serving us (Joy) wasn't supposed to and just took pity on us. We ordered and 15 minutes later she came back and told Pounder and I that they were out of our orders and we needed to pick something else. When the new stuff eventually arrived Robb was missing bacon and cheese and dumplings, Pounder was missing apples and coleslaw, and I had extra weird balls. Pounder's iced tea got refilled as water. It was a real comedy of errors. Joy ended up giving us free dessert to go to try to make up for all the issues but I think we were more amused than bothered and it definitely helped that she seemed to care that we were getting randomly screwed. Contrast to the day before at Waffle House where we were randomly screwed and no one noticed or cared.

Played Can't Stop. I got the 12 but got no further. I went last and 2nd player had good turns so I felt I couldn't win unless I went all out. I fell. The table beside mine decided to literally play Can't Stop, only stopping if they'd locked out a column. One guy took it to the very illogical extreme and kept rolling after he'd locked out a column. He had gone from nothing to full 6 and full 8 and was two rolls away from full 7. Probably close to 50 people were gathered around cheering him on. He fell. 8(

Open gamed a game of Beep Beep! and a game of Kingsburg.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just an FYI... I was going through the log of the finals last year and Mike Kaltman was cheating like a bandit.

He consistently bought buildings he couldn't afford so he must have either been taking too much income or not paying enough for his buildings.

He's bad at the game so he still lost, but if you face him in the SF or F this year, you should be wary.

Good Luck,

Randrew

Ziggyny said...

Uh, which game?

Anonymous said...

Sorry, Vegas Showdown.

Bung said...

I went through andrew's log's, trying to see what he was up to. From what I can tell, he probably was new, and gave himself credit for buildings that he had on the side of the board (which he had quite a few). This netted him a fair number of dollars over the game.