Thursday, September 09, 2010

Bridge Match 1 - Board 21

Board 21 – Dealer North – NS Vul

My hand: K 9 4 3 2 T 6 A T 9 4 8 6

Two passes to me. I pass. West opens 2NT, partner passes, and East raises to 3NT. I don't feel like getting slaughtered so I pass. Partner leads the J of spades.


North
J



EAST
6 5
9 8 2
8 6 3
A K 5 4 3

SOUTH
K 9 4 3 2
T 6
A T 9 4
8 6


West North East South

Pass Pass Pass
2NT Pass 3NT All Pass


From the lead I suspect declarer has AQ tight in spades and partner has JT87. I hope I can trust partner not to block the suit as long as I preserve my 9, as I'm going to play the K in case somehow partner has AJTx. J-5-K-A.

Declarer switches to a heart. Q-4-2-T. And then to a club. T-7-3-8. And another. 2-9-K-6.

Back to hearts. 8-6-A-5. And a club. J-Q-A-?. I'm going to need to find 3 pitches on the clubs. After that it seems likely declarer has 2 heart tricks and a spade in hand. I need to keep my A of diamonds and one other card. Should be a low diamond in case partner has the K I guess. Accordingly I will pitch 2 diamonds and then all my spades.

Interestingly, after cashing his clubs he switches to a low diamond instead of a heart. What does this mean? Note, declarer pitched a heart and a diamond on the clubs. He can't have all high hearts left or he wouldn't have pitched one, so partner must have a heart trick. K maybe? I hop with the A of diamonds and declarer drops the Q. 3-A-Q-7.

I play a low spade. 3-Q-8-6. Declarer cashes the K of diamonds. K-J-6-T. Then he cashes 2 hearts. Not sure what he was doing pitching winners away but I guess he had plenty of them. Making 6.


NORTH
J T 8 7
J 5 4
J 7 2
Q 9 7


WEST
A Q
A K Q 7 3
K Q 5
J T 2


EAST
6 5
9 8 2
8 6 3
A K 5 4 3


SOUTH
K 9 4 3 2
T 6
A T 9 4
8 6


Professor Jack has no problem with anything I did. Hands with no real decisions are easy!


The replay is basically the same. 3NT +3.

Nick: -490
Jack: -490
IMPs: 0 (-26 total)

No comments: