Saturday, September 11, 2010

Bridge Match 1 - Board 23

Board 23 – Dealer South – All Vul

My hand: 7 K J 8 6 A 9 8 J T 8 6 4

I pass. West opens 2 clubs, strong. Partner passes. East bids 2 diamonds, waiting. Jack refuses to clarify what that means. I pass and West bids 2 spades. East bids 3 hearts which appears to be game forcing with a heart suit. West bids 3 spades, East goes to 4 which is passed out. Partner leads the 9 of clubs.

North
9





East
9 3
T 9 7 5 4 3
J
K Q 3 2

SOUTH
7
K J 8 6
A 9 8
J T 8 6 4


West North East South
Pass
21Pass 22 Pass
23 Pass 3Pass
3 Pass 4All Pass
1Strong
2Waiting
3Forcing

Unless partner underlead his A it looks like declarer has 3 club tricks. Oh well, not much I can do about that. 9-2-T-A. Declarer exits a diamond. 4-K-J-?. If partner lead a stiff club then I could overtake and give him a ruff. But if he wanted me to get in, why didn't he duck the diamond? Hopefully he'll return a trump to cut down on diamond ruffs in dummy. I play the 8.

Partner doesn't return a club or a trump. Instead he plays the Q of hearts. I encourage. Q-3-8-A. Declarer ruffs a diamond. 5-3-3 of spades-9. Then he draws trump. 9-7-A-8. And another. K-T-3 of clubs-?. Declarer can have at most 2 clubs left in his hand and has 2 high clubs on board so I don't see any reason to keep my clubs. I pitch the 4. Declarer plays a club. 7-5-Q-8. And another. K-8-q of diamonds-2 of diamonds.

It turns out partner has the Q of spades so he gets to take it as well. Declarer has the rest since he started with 7 spades. Making 5.


NORTH
Q T 8
Q 2
K T 7 6 3 2
9 5


WEST
A K J 6 5 4 2
A
Q 5 4
A 7


EAST
9 3
T 9 7 5 4 3
J
K Q 3 2


SOUTH
7
K J 8 6
A 9 8
J T 8 6 4


Professor Jack disagrees with my attempt to overtake the club. He wants me to signal low with the 4. I don't see how it matters. More critically, he also disagreed with letting partner win the K of diamonds. He wanted me to win. I guess his plan is to give partner a ruff and have partner still have a trump trick. I did think of doing this and dismissed it. Turns out doing so gives declarer an easy 12th trick but he didn't need it since he had a trump loser.


On the replay the auction is the same. The play differs at the start with Jack following Professor Jack's plan. He does return a club, hoping partner lead a singleton. It really doesn't matter as declarer still has 2 losers. Making 5.

Nick: -650
Jack: -650
IMPs: 0 (-26 total)

2 comments:

Sthenno said...

2 diamonds "waiting" apparently doesn't say anything about your hand at all. It's purely a relay back to declarer asking them to describe their hand more.

Ziggyny said...

Bidding over 2 clubs in standard systems has never made sense to me. There never seems to be enough space to work out what level to play at. (3? 4? 6? 7?)

I don't remember the structure we used, but Sky and I had a great system to help by using two different strong bids and a step system of responses. It also let us play 2NT as a terrible preempt in one of the minors, which is apparently an illegal bid at many tournament levels.