Thursday, October 14, 2010

Bridge Match 1 - Board 51

Board 51 – Dealer South – EW Vul

My hand: A J 7 6 4 J 8 3 Q 8 5 4 3

East opens 1 heart in 4th chair. I bid 2 hearts, Michaels. West bids 3 hearts, partner bids 3 spades and East bids 4 clubs. This is alerted as control in clubs for hearts. Would double here be lead directional or would it show my minor? I decide to find out and double. West bids 4 hearts, partner bids 4 spades and East bids 5 hearts which gets passed out. I lead the 4 of diamonds.

WEST
8 5 2
Q T 5 4
K T
J 9 8 6


SOUTH
A J 7 6 4
J 8 3
Q 8 5 4 3



West North East South
Pass
PassPass 1 21
33 42 Double3
44 5 All Pass
1Michael's
2Control in clubs for hearts
3Penalty

4-K-A-9. Partner fails to fire back a club; instead he plays the 2 of diamonds. 2-T of spades-Q-T. I try to cash my A of spades. A-2-9-K. Declarer is down, the question now is if we can take anything else. I doubt it, but I might as well tap him. I play another spade. 6-5-3-7 of hearts.

Declarer draws trump. 6-3-Q-2. 4-6 of diamonds-A-8. K-J-5-7 of diamonds.

Now that trump is gone he attacks clubs. 4-3 of diamonds-J-7. And by attack I mean he cashes out. Down 1.

NORTH
Q 9 3
2
A J 7 6 2
T 7 3 2


WEST
8 5 2
Q T 5 4
K T
J 9 8 6


EAST
K T
A K 9 7 6
9
A K Q 5 4


SOUTH
A J 7 6 4
J 8 3
Q 8 5 4 3




Professor Jack disagrees with my double. (Which, it turns out, was somehow for penalty.) He would have bid 4 spades.

He also disagrees with my opening lead. He agrees the 4 of diamonds in the systematic lead but he likes leading the A of spades instead. Which, incidentally, would set up declarer's K and let him make unless I then shift to a diamond and get a club ruff. I'm liking my odds of a good result here.


On the replay the bidding is different. Maybe they aren't playing Michael's or they're only playing it with good hands but my seat starts with only 1 spade. North still supports spades, East still cue bids 4 clubs, and they end up in 4 hearts with no doubles anywhere.

My seat leads the 4 of diamonds. North returns a spade, so they get to finesse declarer out of his K. No club ruff though (North only has the one entry), so they make 4 hearts.

Nick: 100
Jack: -620
IMPs: +12 (-15 total)

No comments: