Saturday, November 06, 2010

Bridge Match 1 - Board 64

Board 64 – Dealer West – EW Vul

My hand: T 9 4 7 2 Q T 9 6 4 3 3 2

West opens 1 club, partner overcalls 1 diamond and East jumps to 2 spades. I feel like being randomly destructive and jump to 4 diamonds. West doubles for penalty and leads the Q of spades.


NORTH
6 5 3
K J 5 4 3
J 8
8 6 5

WEST
Q



SOUTH
T 9 4
7 2
Q T 9 6 4 3
3 2


West North East South
1 1 2 4
Double Pass Pass Pass

Well, I have 2 club losers, 3 spade losers, 2 diamond losers, and 1 or 2 heart losers. And not much to say about any of it, really. I have to pick a way to finesse in hearts and beyond that there's nothing interesting to the hand. West shifts to a diamond after the first spade trick and my J from board holds. I lose a club. East cashes his A of spades and West pitches a club. K of spades, and a heart pitch. East then cashes a club, and then leads out the J of spades. I get to pitch a heart and ruff with the 8 of diamonds on board, removing my second heart loser. Down 5, doubled.


NORTH
6 5 3
K J 5 4 3
J 8
8 6 5

WEST
Q
A Q T 8
A 5 2
A K 9 7 4

EAST
A K J 8 7 2
9 6
K 7
Q J T

SOUTH
T 9 4
7 2
Q T 9 6 4 3
3 2


On the plus side they're cold for 7NT so down 5 doubled non-vulnerable is a very good result if my teammates can find their grand slam.


Professor Jack disagrees with my bid and would have passed instead. He also disagrees with my club play and would have drawn trump instead, which actually would have removed my guaranteed play for 1 heart loser. Though as it turns out, West had both high hearts anyway so any finesse would have worked.


On the replay my hand passes and West jumps to 4NT. His partner shows the missing ace. He asks for kings. His partner shows 2. He then wimps out and only bids 6NT. I think with a combined at least 32 points, all the aces, 3 of the kings, and two different long suits you have to try for 7 here. Oh well. North leads a low heart so they have 15 top tricks. Making 7, which is still +8 IMPs. Not the +15 we could have had, but still ok.

Nick: -1100
Jack: -1470
IMPs: +8 (+21 total)

No comments: