Sunday, November 07, 2010

Bridge Match 1 - Board 65

Board 65 – Dealer North – No Vul

My hand: K 9 2 J 5 A T 5 2 J 6 4 3

East opens 1 diamond in second chair. I have nothing to say. West bids 1 spade, partner bids 2 diamonds, and East jumps to 3 spades. What in the world is partner's 2 diamond bid? It can't be a strong hand since he passed in first chair. It can't be a diamond preempt since he again passed in first chair. He could have doubled instead... I guess double would show a stronger point hand but a less distributional hand so I'd guess partner is 5-5 in hearts and clubs. If I had any semblance of faith that that was true I'd consider bidding 4 clubs here, but I don't, so I pass as does everyone else. Partner leads the A of clubs.


NORTH
A
EAST
A Q J 4
A Q T
J 8 6 3
T 9

SOUTH
K 9 2
J 5
A T 5 2
J 6 4 3


West North East South
Pass 1 Pass
1 21 3All Pass
15-5 Hearts and Clubs

A-9-3-7. Partner shifts to a diamond. 4-3-A-7. I return a diamond. 2-9-5 of spades-6. Partner then cashes the K of clubs. K-T-4-5. Declarer is tight and I have the K of trump offside. Down they go!

Unfortunately declarer has the K of hearts so other than the K of spades he's up. Down 1.


NORTH
8 5
9 8 4 3 2
4
A K Q 8 2

WEST
T 7 6 3
K 7 6
K Q 9 7
7 5

EAST
A Q J 4
A Q T
J 8 6 3
T 9

SOUTH
K 9 2
J 5
A T 5 2
J 6 4 3


Professor Jack disagrees with my pass. He would have bid 4 clubs, presumably because he had faith that partner actually had his 5-5.


On the replay I don't think they're playing Michaels, so North gets in there with 1NT instead of 2 diamonds, though apparently it showed 5-5 as well. East still jumps to 3 spades and South still passes. I hate you, Captain Jack! The play itself goes a little different (North doesn't cash his club K and therefore gives declarer a chance to make if he didn't have identical suit distributions in hand and dummy) but the result is the same. They get a diamond ruff for down 1.

Nick: 50
Jack: 50
IMPs: 0 (+21 total)

No comments: