Friday, November 26, 2010

Bridge Match 1 - Board 76

Board 76 – Dealer West – NS Vul

My hand: J T 8 7 6 4 8 T 3 J 9 6 4

West opens 1 club, partner cuebids 2 clubs and East jumps to 4 diamonds. 2 clubs should be Michael's, showing 5-5 or better in the majors so we have an 11 card spade fit. We are red on white though, so I don't think jumping to 5 spades is automatic. Assuming my goal is to keep them from their making minor suit game I'm trying to keep them from getting 400 points, so even down 2 is too many. 4 it is.

West bids 4NT and now they're heading for more than game. Maybe I should have stuck my neck out. East only has one A. West settles into 6 diamonds which gets passed out.

I'm on lead and hope partner has the A of hearts. If he does then I can get a ruff and set them, so I lead the 8 of hearts.





WEST
3
Q 7
A K J 7
A K T 5 3 2



SOUTH
J T 8 7 6 4
8
T 3
J 9 6 4


West North East South
1 21 4 4
4NT2 Pass 53 Pass
6 Pass Pass Pass
1Michaels
2Blackwood
31 Ace

8-7-K-A. Looks like our 1 spade trick probably went away with that lead since they can likely draw trump, cash the Q of hearts, cross to hand, and pitch the 3 of spades on the J of hearts.

Declarer does start by drawing trump. 2-3-J-8. 7-5 of spades-Q-T. Then a heart. 3-4 of spades-Q-2.

But now clubs. K-8-7-6. 2-Q-5 of diamonds-4. Then declarer ruffs a heart, ruffs a club, ruffs a heart and his clubs are high. Making 7.



NORTH
A K Q 9 5
K T 9 4 2
8
Q 8


WEST
3
Q 7
A K J 7
A K T 5 3 2


EAST
2
A J 6 5 3
Q 9 6 5 4 2
7


SOUTH
J T 8 7 6 4
8
T 3
J 9 6 4



I can console myself with the knowledge that I'd have probably lead a spade against 7. I can berate myself for not putting more though into 5 spades off the hop though. I didn't pay enough heed to partner's 5 hearts which mean I had at most 4 losers (his remaining 3 minor cards and a heart, maybe 2 trump I guess if their two spades are AK in one hand?) and could just cross ruff hearts and clubs.


Professor Jack disagrees with my club spot play. The 6 isn't high enough for him and he wants me to burn the 9 (which could be relevant) to signal even. Screw that.


On the replay the auction is identical. My hand leads a heart so they also make 7.

I went back and tried bidding 5 spades. West just goes to 6 diamonds on his own.

Nick: -940
Jack: -940
IMPs: 0 (+16 total)

No comments: