Sunday, November 28, 2010

Bridge Match 1 - Board 78

Board 78 – Dealer East – No Vul

My hand: Q 9 8 6 3 2 K 8 7 3 J 7 2

East opens 1 club and I preempt 2 spades. West jumps to 4 clubs, partner bids 4 diamonds and East passes. What in the world does 4 diamonds mean? It can't be constructive since the opponents have points for game so I'm thinking it has to be a long suit of his own. Since my suit is so terrible I'm fine playing in his, so I pass. West doubles for penalty which gets passed to me. I pass again.

East leads the A of clubs.

NORTH
K J
J 4 3
A K Q 9 7 6 2
3


EAST
A

SOUTH
Q 9 8 6 3 2
K 8 7
3
J 7 2


West North East South
1 21
4 4 Pass Pass
Double2 Pass Pass Pass
1Weak
2Penalty

Assuming a 3-2 trump split he has a spade loser, a club loser, and 2 or 3 heart losers. I have 8 or 9 tricks if I can win a heart trick. At any rate, lets see what they do. A-2-4-3. East shifts to a spade. 4-2-A-K. And a club back. 6-2 of diamonds-8-7.

Might as well draw trump and see what's up. A-4-3-5. K-8-3 of spades-T. Q-J-J of clubs-5 of clubs. Now what?

I can play a spade to board and overtake in the hopes the T is now stiff. If it's true, I'm up. Or I can cash the J of spades, finesse up to the K of hearts, and if East has the A of hearts I make when the T of spades is now doubleton.

Well, lets play a spade. J-T of clubs-? Turns out spades are 4-1. I can overtake and ruffing finesse for the T of spades. Then if the K of hearts is an entry I can take 2 spades, 1 heart, 3 trump, and the 4 tricks already in for just in. But the same is true if I just duck the spade, so I might as well do that. J-T of clubs-6-7. Might as well try the heart... 3-9-K-A. 5-4-T-8. Q-8-2-J. And I'm up. Down 2, doubled.


NORTH
K J
J 4 3
A K Q 9 7 6 2
3


WEST
A T 7 5
A 5 2
T 5
9 6 5 4

EAST
4
Q T 9 6
J 8 4
A K Q T 8

SOUTH
Q 9 8 6 3 2
K 8 7
3
J 7 2


Professor Jack disagrees with my 2 spade bid. My suit isn't good enough to preempt so he wants me to bid ONE SPADE instead. My terrible 6 count isn't good enough to preempt but is good enough to overcall? Are you insane, Jack?

He also wouldn't have cashed the J of spades and would have drawn more trump first. Maybe you can set up a squeeze of some sort?


On the replay my hand only bids 1 spade. Somehow this makes West and North slow down and they end up playing 3 diamonds undoubled. They lose the same tricks for down 1.

Nick: -300
Jack: -50
IMPs: -6 (+22 total)

1 comment:

Sky said...

The more of these hands I see the more I think Jack really isn't very good at all. There are lots of times when what to do in bridge is extremely complicated but Jack seems to consistently make really fundamental, simple errors. Even more than that his errors go right against the bidding conventions he claims to use... not good.