Friday, December 17, 2010

Tank Rating Follow-Ups

Over at OGT we've had two raid nights now with Argaloth and Magmaw downed. My automated logging hasn't worked properly yet so I've only had partial data from both raids but I do have some numbers to look at now in terms of the different ratings. (I ended up having to DPS Magmaw, so tanking data there is a little suspect but at least I was topping the meters in ungemmed/unenchanted leveling greens.)

To start with I reforged everything I had into mastery as I suggested I would. I now want to look into the impact that mastery had and what likely would have happened with parry or dodge in their place. I'm also going to take a look at haste since if stacking mastery to improve Death Strike is good then maybe stacking haste to get more Death Strikes in is good too.

One thing to note about Blood Shield that I wasn't realizing until recently is it only absorbs physical damage and does nothing to spells. I wonder why that is, maybe a pvp nerf? Also, the log parser we use (World of Logs) fails to accurately reflect Blood Shield at all. It seems to be assigning all the absorption from it to Divine Aegis which really boosts the discipline priest's numbers, but I think I can still get worthwhile data out of it. Finally, overheal doesn't count for squat so pounding a Death Strike out when I'm at full wastes the healing and the shield.

The kill fight lasted almost 5 minutes. In that time I used Death Strike 24 times, or once every 12.5 seconds. Each Death Strike averaged healing for 10775.  Each point of mastery rating increases the resulting shield by .000349162 per healing, so on that fight a point of mastery rating was worth 3.76222 healing every 12.5 seconds.

The boss has a bunch of unavoidable damage floating around and a melee swing that can be dodged/parried. He attacked me 62 times total with his melee swing, or once every 4.83 seconds. When he hit the swing averaged 18000 damage. Ignoring diminishing returns for now one point of dodge rating prevents .000056497 of the damage. One parry rating was therefore worth 1.01695 healing every 4.83 seconds. Normalizing for the same time period as Death Strike, it was worth 2.63186 healing every 12.5 seconds. Clearly this is worse for this specific fight since there is diminishing returns on top of that.

What about haste? It's been very difficult to find a formula for this, but I believe my runes cooldown every 10/(1.2*(1+hasterating/12800)) seconds. With no haste rating they should refresh every 8.33 seconds. Assuming a linear improvement and 12.5 seconds between Death Strikes then one point of haste rating would add on an extra .00000625 Death Strikes every second. With my current mastery adding on about 93% of the heal as a shield this is adding 10775*1.93 healing per Death Strike, for a total of .12997 healing every second. This is 1.62467 healing every 12.5 seconds.

Haste is clearly bad compared to mastery but it's not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. It also has a threat component to it which the avoidance stats don't have which isn't relevant for me right now but could be in the future. I do find it amusing that str/sta/mastery/haste could be good tanking gear, though. The plate DPSers will love me!

I also feel like my Death Strike frequency isn't often enough and I need to work on ways to make it better. I'm also not sure it's fair to compare dodge/parry on a fight where the boss only spends half his time swinging at me and his dangerous move isn't a melee swing at all. Mastery is certainly better on this specific fight for sure but I can believe it will end up worse on a lot of fights. Time will tell as we actually get into a more diverse set of encounters.

6 comments:

Sthenno said...

For easy calculation, the slope of the diminishing returns curve when you have x% chance to dodge or parry (so your chance expressed as a number like 12.56, not as a number like 0.1256) is 3870.81 / (x^2 + 121.66x + 3700.49). If you have around 9% parry or dodge, that would mean that the slope is 0.7938. Diminishing returns starts to eat into the value of these stats pretty heavily even at modest numbers.

Ziggyny said...

Don't some sources of avoidance not diminish though?

Sky said...

To give a sense of paladin healing, I self heal for 22k every 7-8 seconds in the ideal case (though this would be very rough on threat) and realistically can heal every 15s while maintaining more than enough threat. Mine is immune to overheal though since the overheal makes a shield. I can't improve it by any stat other than Str though. Seems like DK healing is much better in a threat sensitive environment and early in the pull but longterm paladin healing has much higher potential.

Ziggyny said...

Well, keep in mind also that Death Strike is guaranteed to hit for 7% of my max health but could hit for a lot more if the boss is actually threatening me. Most of the heals on Argaloth were for the 7% (or for 0% because I'm terrible and hit the button at full life) and my average heal was less than 7% of my max health on the parse I looked at. One of the heals on Argaloth was in the 22k heal + 20k shield range. The biggest heal in the log from BRC was

[20:08:05.404] Recolada Death Strike Recolada +46548 (O: 1403)

Which would have come with a 43k physical shield. 90k healing from one button is an obvious outlier but still pretty sweet!

Sky said...

I have nothing that resembles that, my healing is extremely predictable. On average though it seems like higher HPS if I spec and play for it though.

Sthenno said...

Yes, sorry, the diminishing returns does not count the 5% base parry/dodge chance you get for just being you, nor does it count any direct bonuses from talents or buffs (though these don't really exist anymore).

The Death Strike heal scaling with how much damage you take is kind of analogous to (thought obviously not equivalent to) block.

My experience healing all four tanks through heroics is that paladins feel a lot better than other tanks right now.

On a single target, is Word of Glory actually a threat loss? A 22k heal is quite a bit of threat. I know on the beta people were talking about it being the best way to generate threat, so I wonder if they nerfed its threat somehow.