Thursday, February 17, 2011

Bridge Match 1 - Board 129

Board 129 – Dealer North – No Vul

My hand: J T 9 8 7 4 A 9 3 Q 4 A 7

Partner opens 1 hearts and East jumps to 2NT showing the minors. I bid 4 hearts which gets passed out. East leads the 5 of clubs.


NORTH
Q 5
Q J T 8 4 2
K 2
K T 2


EAST
5

SOUTH
J T 9 8 7 4
A 9 3
Q 4
A 7


West North East South
1 2NT1 4
Pass Pass Pass
1Unusual

I have 2 clubs and 5 hearts. I can easily set up a diamond and a lot of spades. Unfortunately I have 4 losers. 2 spades and a diamond for sure, and maybe the K of hearts. They're all top tricks except the heart which I can only avoid by finessing for it or dropping it. East has 10 cards in the minors so it's almost inconceivable that West could have a stiff K. I can play a round of spades pretty safely first to find out. I hope the club. 5-A-8-2. I fire out a spade. 4-K-Q-3 of clubs.

Well now. West does have one heart. It's still 1 in 4 that he has the king though, so I should still finesse. He returned a diamond, anyway. 9-K-A-4. East plays another club which I win in hand. 4-7-J-K.

I lead a trump and East covers. Q-K-A-7. Now I just need to manage my entries and I'm good. Actually, I just need to ruff the club and I'm up. So I play a heart to the J, ruff the club back, cash the high diamond and concede a spade. Making 4.


NORTH
Q 5
Q J T 8 4 2
K 2
K T 2

WEST
A K 6 3 2
7 5
9 8 6 5
J 8

EAST

K 6
A J T 7 3
Q 9 6 5 4 3

SOUTH
J T 9 8 7 4
A 9 3
Q 4
A 7


Professor Jack disagrees with ducking the spade. He wants me to play a club instead, probably to ruff a club or maybe to take the heart finesse right away. In retrospect while I gained information by playing the spade it wasn't information I was willing to act on (I was going to finesse even with hearts 1-3) so it was probably wrong.


On the replay the auction and lead are identical. Declarer wins the opening lead in hand and finesses hearts. He doesn't finesse in a way he can repeat though, so he has to play a diamond to try to build another hand entry. It fails. Declarer is forced to hope for a 2-2 heart split and luckily for him it works. Also making 4, but I feel screwed.

Nick: 420
Jack: 420
IMPs: 0 (-44 total)

No comments: