Thursday, July 28, 2011

Fan exPo 2011 Costume Update

The number one need for a red mage costume was going to be an awesome red fedora. I did a little searching and posted a picture of one on Facebook which prompted a friend of my sister's to ask where I got the picture because she wanted to get the hat just to wear. Now, I really like hats, but pretty much all my hats are dark/dull colours. My Waluigi hat from last year is pretty much the only vibrant one and I haven't worn that except as part of a costume. I decided that even if I don't dress up as a red mage I want to have an awesome red hat anyway. So I bought one online. I probably should have gone up a size but it fits reasonably well and definitely fits into the category of awesome:



On the topic of awesome red hats my sister commented about an iconic character with an awesome red hat. Carmen Sandiego. Now that I have the hat in my possession I have to say it is the perfect Carmen Sandiego hat, but unfortunately I don't think I have the legs to pull that off. Maybe a Carman Sandiego?



Continuing on the hat theme I came up with an awesome idea that would only work as a duo costume: White Spy and Black Spy from Spy vs Spy. Spy vs Spy 2 was one of my favourite Commodore 64 games when I was a kid. Hiding pieces of a nuclear missile in quicksand, building hanging traps out of vines, digging holes with the shovel and covering them with twigs... It was amazing.



Or how about Dick Tracy? He had a cool hat. A quick search shows that 'The Brow' had a red fedora though he seems like quite the jerk. 



Another idea I had while rewatching the Trogdor video was that I think I could pull off Homestar Runner, though again it would be best in conjunction with someone playing the part of Strongbad.



I leave for the World Boardgaming Championships in 2 days and will put off decisions about costumes and Magic decks until after I get back, but in case I happen across some bits on my travels I think I've narrowed my likely costume down to either red mage or Deckard Cain. I will need either:

- huge white feather, red mask, red cloak, red jacket/sweater/shirt/band uniform, black/white pants, black/brown/red boots
- grey robe, gnarled walking stick, book on a strap, sandals

I figure an outing to a Value Village should probably provide useful items for at least one costume. And maybe some cheap board games...

No comments: