Sunday, July 31, 2011

WBC 2011 - Day -1

Saturday was travel day down to WBC. I finished packing when Pounder and Robb arrived and headed out. An hour later I discovered I once again forgot my laptop power cord which will cut down on my computer usage. I am writing this from Robb's laptop. Maybe I will be able to keep posting every day. Maybe not. Maybe my 3DS will work as a portable blog poster; I will try that tomorrow probably.

At any rate we got near Burlington with no problem but then discovered the entire QEW West was closed down at the Skyway due to a woman being killed on the road earlier that morning. The nice radio let us know that there was no good way to keep going west. And since the road we were on was pretty much stopped there wasn't really a good way to go any direction. Robb ended up using Google Maps on Pounder's phone to find a series of backroads through Burlington and Hamilton that eventually got us to the 403 and around the bridges.

The wait at the border when we finally got there was really short, likely because no one could get to it from Toronto all day. All told it took something like 5 hours to get from my place to the US, and when you consider we didn't stop for food is pretty comparable to the 6 hours it took last year.

We stopped in Buffalo to eat and ended up eating at a little Chinese food place where the only one who spoke any English was the 13 year old boy. We eventually persuaded them to let us use their little bathroom in back in exchange for eating there. I had chicken fried rice and enjoyed it. As we were eating the boy came up to us and asked us to verify his scratch and win lottery ticket which was in English. They'd won $300.

We ended up getting in to Lancaster around 11pm again, ate a second time, and then went to bed without playing any games. Next year the plan is to leave at 7am in the hopes of avoiding terrible traffic!

No comments: