Saturday, December 10, 2011

All-Time Favourite Video Games Criteria

Mark commented last week that Final Fantasy Adventure was in his top ten favourite games ever. It got me thinking... What would be my top ten? What criteria could I even use?

I looked up the definition of favourite and it wasn't a lot of help. "(prenominal) most liked; preferred above all others" Should an all-time favourite game be a game that to this day remains a favourite game? Should it mean a game that was at some point at the top? Clearly the whole thing is going to be subjective but I don't want to just pull things out of a hat. Is it based on time spent? Times completed? Can a game that was a lot of fun but has practically no replay value count? I really liked the Professor Layton game I played, for example, but I'm not going to play it again. On the other side of that coin... I play Freecell every now and then. Does that make it awesome? I mentioned that I thought Secret of Mana was one of the best games all-time... But I actually have little desire to play it again. Should that lower it on the favourite-game-o-meter compared to something like Actraiser which I'd probably plug in and play right now if I owned it? What about innovation? I thought Portal was really cool! But I've only spent a few hours playing it. Compare that with the time spent on World of Warcraft...

I think what I want to do is go over each generation of video games and think about what games I preferred above all others at that time. A game may not have aged well, but it can still have a place as an all-time favourite. And then come up with some way to rank them after I've identified them all. The biggest problem I foresee is identifying all the potential candidates so taking some time and methodically going over things in small time periods should help with that problem.

1 comment:

Sthenno said...

There was a blog or music store or something (I really can't remember what) that used to list a "favourite song of all time for today." A kind of recognition that you can't actually identify your favourite of all time.

That being said, while I can't possibly set out any criteria to make a selection, and I could never come up with a definitive top ten list, the one game I'm sure would be on it is Final Fantasy Tactics. I just recently got it for my iPod (you can do that!) and I'm playing it obsessively.

I think approaching it by eras is a great idea, though, or maybe even by platforms. Favourite games for Atari, Commodore 64, XT processor PCs, NES, Gameboy, SNES, 386 processor PCs, Bulletin Boards, Playstation, Gamecube, Playstation 2, Contemporary-ish PCs (kind of blur together for me), and Web Browsers. That would help contextualize your love of games to allow comparisons.