Monday, December 05, 2011

Warwick Level 1 Skill

For the longest time I would take Warwick's Q ability first when heading into the jungle. It does some damage and provides some healing so it seems pretty sweet. I saw a guide that said to take his W first but didn't explain why. I decided to try it out and liked it, though I want to math it out to see if it's actually better or not.

What exactly do they do?

Q: Hungering Strike: Does 75 damage. Heals for 60. Has a 10 second cooldown.

W: Hunter's Call: 40% attack speed boost for 10 seconds. Has a 30 second cooldown.

By default at level 1 Warwick will attack .665 times per second. With the attack speed buff up he'll attack .931 times per second. Over the course of the 10 second buff this will be a gain of 2.66 attacks. Each attack hits for 80 damage and heals for 18.

On the surface that seems worse. You get to Q 3 times before the W comes off cooldown so you're comparing 225 damage and 180 healing with 213 damage and 48 healing. But that assumes you're constantly in combat the entire time. If you spend some time fighting and some time running between fights then things change. You're still going to gain on healing with the Q but the W is probably going to do more damage.

Now, to be fair, the replay I looked at where I did this I started with a long sword as my first item which adds 10 damage to each attack. I find I don't have any trouble with dying since the last patch (I don't even drink a healing potion anymore) so trading some healing for some damage seems strong. I'm going to stick with W as my first skill for now on!

No comments: