Saturday, January 21, 2012

Band Hero: YMCA

I turned my xBox 360 on last night in order to rock out a little in Band Hero. I don't have a band (or any instruments beyond a guitar) but it at least has a new selection of songs to play on the guitar. Unfortunately I find the band type games tend to be easier than the straight guitar games. I play on the hardest difficulty and still most songs are completely trivial. That bothers me from a challenge standpoint but just having new songs to play once is a worthwhile trade-off.

One of those songs is the old disco classic, YMCA by The Village People. The song itself (on guitar at least) is pretty easy, but it there was an added twist that made it hard to get a really good score. At one point in the song the band yells out Y - M - C - A and as a human being I've been conditioned to make those letters with my arms. There were no guitar notes to hit at the time so there's nothing wrong with jumping around in letters, is there? Well, it turns out that making jerky motions is enough to trigger the star power multiplier. Which was wasted since it was a guitar note light area. Boo!

One nice thing about Band Hero is that they're able to add in songs mostly known for their lyrics instead of just the guitar track. I've never seen an Evanescence song in a straight guitar game, for example, but there is one on Band Hero!

No comments: