Friday, October 19, 2012

CastleCon

There's a board gaming convention (CastleCon) being held near Toronto this weekend. Duncan and Sara were going to be driving in each day and asked if I'd like to tag along. Thinking about it, I realized I haven't actually played a board game since WBC. Now, I play a lot of board games online, but I haven't been with actual people around a physical board in quite some time. I haven't really felt like leaving the apartment lately and I don't think I do now either, but it's probably a good idea regardless.

It looks like there are 3 tournaments at CastleCon, though I'm not particularly interested in any of them. Memoir 44, Command and Colors: Ancients, and Vikings. Vikings in particular holds the dubious distinction of being the most disappointing game I've ever played. I learned it at WBC in 2007 and I'd swear the title on the box was "VIKINGS!". And then the game had no raping, pillaging, or exploring. It wasn't a bad game from a mechanics standpoint but it really disappointed in terms of theme.

I donno, just playing some games should be nice. There's a vendor on site and I think I still have some store credit from the Blitz a couple years ago. Apparently there's a new Netrunner card game based off the old CCG. I should try to pick it up.

No comments: