Friday, October 12, 2012

Revisiting Darkmoon Cards

Blizzard went out and substantially buffed the tanking Darkmoon trinket (all the other trinkets had a passive primary stat and a secondary proc/on use effect) by giving it a huge amount of stamina to go with the underwhelming on use. I really like stamina for tanking so this change shifts the tanking trinket from 'garbage' to 'want to have'. On top of that I now suspect the DPS trinket is actually going to be best in slot for challenge modes. There are a couple other strength trinkets I could use but none of them have strength in the proc/on use slot. And most of them are raid drops anyway...

Put both of those together and it feels like it has to be worth making Darkmoon cards for personal use. I can sell the extras and hopefully fill in the gaps by buying missing cards. They were also supposed to bring in an ink trader on Tuesday to make this a lot cheaper but they couldn't get it done. This is a shame because I have a stupid amount of normal ink and would love to trade it in at 10-to-1 rates. But the fact that they've said it will happen 'soon' means I don't actually have to worry about the price of ink staying astronomical and it can make financial sense to make cards now since I can replenish my ink in the future. I can also revise my 'cost per ink' calculations by assuming I trade all the normal ink in for super ink...

Most herbs - 1.048 good ink
Fool's Cap - 1.69 good ink

This means fool's cap is worth 61% more than the other herbs. I'd been mentally valuing it at double which means I need to revise my buy points a little bit. Assuming I pay 200G per stack of fool's cap that means I'm paying 118G per ink. It also means I should be paying up to 124G for the other herbs. I've only been buying at sub 100G prices, so I have a lot more herbs I can buy. Or, maybe, I should scale back my fool's cap purchases...

Another thing to make note of is I forced a 600G floor on my shoulder enchant prices and they are still selling every now and then. Ink is listed on the AH for 700G each (still way too high but I haven't found any buyers so I don't know that it matters). Assuming I can keep trickling out enchants at 600G then I can set a break even value for ink of 200G. This would let me pay up to 338G for fool's cap and 210G for other herbs. I'm not happy with breaking even (I would like a little profit) but I don't need to do much better than breaking even while making trinkets for myself to be happy. Making a fortune while gearing up would be preferred, of course, and it's what I'm used to with inscription, but maybe that's a thing of the past...

Setting an ink value between current values and the 200G cap set above... How much is a card actually worth? Let's go with 140G as the value of ink and 3K as the value of a SoW... That makes an individual card worth 4400G. Tigers and Oxen cards are both above that right now. So I should definitely make my own...

Time to get milling herbs I guess!

No comments: