Thursday, October 25, 2012

World of Warcraft Masks!

Two years ago I posted about a World of Warcraft achievement and went through some new (to me) math to work out some information about how many years it would take for the average person to get it done. It was in the neighbourhood of 5 years of intense play as it initially launched and then 3 years after they added another way to get the items. I was getting close (I think I was at 17 of 20?) and was actually really looking forward to having an active account this October so I could pour in a ton of time trying to finish it off.

That's going to sound a little perverse. I rant about how terrible an achievement is because Blizzard had no idea how to balance the numbers and as a result it was really unlikely to earn... And then I get all excited about a chance to do it. And not because it's skill based and I'd figured out a way to get an edge doing it... No, I just want to pull the lever on that slot machine over and over again in the hopes of hitting the jackpot. I guess something needs to be wrong with people's brains in order for roulette tables to exist and I've got it bad...

At any rate...

Unfortunately it wasn't nearly as exciting as I'd hoped. Blizzard threw in the towel it would seem and decided to make the achievement incredibly trivial. You can buy the masks from a vendor for easily earned tokens. It didn't take very long to get enough of the tokens to buy the last 7 masks I needed. So now I have a real hard achievement, but I got it after it was nerfed into oblivion so it means even less than the nothing most people would think it's worth. Oh well.

No comments: