Sunday, June 23, 2013

Bridge Match 2 - Board 6

Board 6 – Dealer East – EW Vul

Opponents convention card: Dutch Acol.
Opponents playing strength: Intermediate.

My hand: ♠ K 6 5 4  7 6 3 2  8 5  K Q J

East opens 1NT. I pass. West bids 2 hearts as a transfer to spades. East bids 2 spades. West bids 3 hearts showing a game forcing hand with 5+ spades and 4+ hearts. East bids 4 hearts. West asks for aces, East shows 2, and they settle into 6 hearts. I can hope the heart split is bad for them, but I don't actually see any tricks available and partner is likely broke so I can't double.

Partner leads the 3 of diamonds
NORTH
3


EAST
9 8
J 5 4
A K Q J T
A T 5

SOUTH
K 6 5 4
7 6 3 2
8 5
 K Q J


West North East South
1NT Pass
21 Pass 2 Pass
3 Pass 4 Pass
4NT2 Pass 53 Pass
6 Pass Pass Pass
1Transfer
2Ace asking
32 aces

Interesting. The tooltips indicated East had 4 hearts for his 4 heart bid. It's entirely possible they are in a 4-3 split here. Of course that diamond suit is a good source of tricks for them. I have a sinking suspicion that a club lead here may have been very bad for them. Oh well. 3-T-5-7.

Declarer decides to draw trump. 4-2-8-Q. Oh my. Partner goes right back to diamonds. 6-J-8-6 of clubs.

Declarer goes to spades now. 8-4-3-7. Huh. Guess his spade suit is pretty darn solid. Now that he got that out of the way he draws more trump. 5-3-T-K. Juh? Not only did partner have at least 5 points he had two of the top three trump? I wonder if declarer could make by playing for KQ tight opposite 4 small?

Partner really likes diamonds, and I guess now I might as well ruff to keep declarer from pitching. 9-Q-6 of hearts-9 of hearts. Draw trump, lead up to the A of clubs, cash diamonds, and finesse me out of my K of spades. Down 1.



NORTH
 7 2
 K Q
9 6 4 3 2
9 8 4 3

WEST
A Q J T 3
A T 9 8
7
 7 6 2

EAST
9 8
J 5 4
 A K Q J T
A T 5

SOUTH
♠ K 6 5 4
7 6 3 2
8 5
 K Q J



Professor Jack disagrees with my first spade play. I played low when I had an even number and should have played higher. 6 instead of 4. You are right Jack. I will try to get better.

I can't help but notice that a club lead the first time partner gets in instead of insisting on playing diamonds is crushing to declarer. With no board entries at all once the A of clubs is gone he's boned. He can pitch one club before I can ruff in but he can't stop be from getting a club and the K of spades. Of course he can also avoid a second heart loser but he should still be down 2. Not that we forced them to bid up to 6 hearts... These MPs were a complete gift from our intermediate opponents who chose to play a 26 point slam with no fit. It's just a little annoying to leave 1 of those gifted MPs on the table with bad defense.

1 pair played 4 spades down 1 to tie us for a top. Other scores include 4 hearts just in, 4 spades up one, 3NT up 2, and 3NT up 3. So we get 13 MPs on this hand.

Ranking after board 6/60: 9/16 with 45.24%

2 comments:

Old_Hobo said...

I also think you should play your diamond 8 at trick one. Your signal can't possibly show attitude given board's holding so you should play high from your doubleton. By not doing so, I would certainly assume you to have a stiff when I get back in as your partner. I mean you totally could have a singleton had you played the 8 and declarer has 2, but I think the 8 at trick one has more potential upside.

Old_Hobo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.