Thursday, July 11, 2013

Ehrgeiz: Conclusions

Ehrgeiz got tossed to the side when my Kobo died a few months ago and I decided I wanted to play Final Fantasy VIII on the bus. I feared doing so would mean I wouldn't play Ehrgeiz again, and it turns out I know myself pretty well. After finished FFVIII I tried loading Ehrgeiz back up again but I didn't really remember how to play and quickly found myself game overed. It wasn't much fun the first time around and I have no desire whatsoever to play it again from the beginning. So, that's the end of that.

How was the game? Well, the fighting game mode seemed almost reasonable. It was an early 3D fighting game, which is a genre I'm not a big fan of. I can play older RPGs and like them fine, but the flaws in an older fighting game really bother me. It's apparently seen as a top tier PlayStation game though (73rd best according to some Japanese magazine) so maybe it's just me who doesn't like it. The dungeon mode stapled RPG elements onto the fighting game, but it was still the fighting game at heart. Slow, awkward combat is not my idea of a good time. I actually do like some games in the fighting game/RPG genre, like Devil May Cry, but this one was just too slow, too incomprehensible, and maybe too hard for me to like.

I couldn't bring myself to plow through the game and finish it, so it can't get a very good spot on my chart. I think it has to fall down with Final Fantasy Legend III as games I didn't complete. Is it better or worse than that? I think for someone who likes older fighting games in the slightest it's way better than FFLIII, but I am not one of those people. So I have to put it all the way in last place. Yesterday brought a new best game to my list, today brings a new worst game. Huzzah!

No comments: