Sunday, March 09, 2014

Bridge Match 2 - Board 45

Board 45 - Dealer North - All Vul

Opponents convention card: Dutch Doubleton
Opponents playing strength: Fair

My hand: K A 9 5 4 A T 8 6 K 5 4 2

East opens 1NT in 2nd chair. They're playing strong no trumps. My hand is pretty good, but I don't have a bid over 1NT. Neither does anyone else. Let's play 1NT!

I lead the 4 of hearts.
WEST
Q 6 3 2
8 7 3 2
Q 9
Q T 9
SOUTH
K
A 9 5 4
A T 8 6
K 5 4 2
WestNorthEastSouth
Pass1NTPass
PassPass

4-2-6-J. It would appear I chose poorly. East decides to attack clubs. A-2-9-6. But then he goes back to hearts. T-5-3-4 of spades. Q-A-7-4 of diamonds. Partner doesn't like spades, or diamonds. Declarer cashed the A of clubs. I feel like we're not getting anything anywhere. But maybe partner doesn't know his diamonds are useful. I might as well lead through dummy and hope. T-9-K-7.

Partner switches to a club. 3-7-K-T. Declarer now has 7 tricks since my spade K is stiff. They also can get a diamond trick. Maybe they'll set that one up before attacking spades? I don't know what to do. I'll return partner's clubs. 4-Q-2 of diamonds-8.

Huh. Declarer cashes his heart with partner pitching the 8 of spades. Declarer then plays a diamond to set that trick up too. 5-A-Q-3. Declarer then cashes out, discovering my stiff K so he gets the Q of spades too. Making 3.
NORTH
J T 9 8 7 4
6
K 4 3 2
6 3
WEST
Q 6 3 2
8 7 3 2
Q 9
Q T 9
EAST
A 5
K Q J T
J 7 5
A J 8 7
SOUTH
K
A 9 5 4
A T 8 6
K 5 4 2
7 tables played 1NT with 5 of them making 3 and 2 of them making 2. The other table played and made 3NT. So we get 6 MPs.


Captain Jack disagrees with a couple of things. I signaled an odd number of clubs, not an even number, which is probably why he fired back a club when he got in. Doh! He also didn't like the diamond shift and wants me to just play passively and fire back a heart. I thought about doing that but decided to hope partner had the KJ of diamonds for some reason.

Ranking after board 45/60: 2/16 with 57.62%

No comments: