Sunday, March 16, 2014

Bridge Match 2 - Board 46

Board 46 - Dealer East - None Vul

Opponents convention card: Dutch Doubleton
Opponents playing strength: Fair

My hand: T 8 4 3 2 T 8 6 7 4 3 T 2

Wow, a 0 count! So tempted to psyche here... Especially after East opens 1 diamond. But I can't bring myself to do it. West bids 1 heart, East bids 1 spade, West bids 1NT and then partner gets frisky with a 2 diamond bid. I have no idea what that means. The delayed cuebid? I have to think it's actually a natural diamond bid. East doubles for penalty and now it's on me. Well, if partner meant something crazy he can run by himself now, so I pass. Partner pulls to 2 hearts. East bids 3 clubs. WHAT IS GOING ON? I should have psyched because at least then I'd be the one causing the confusion. I pass. As does everyone else.

I lead the T of hearts.
WEST
K 6 5
Q J 5 3 2
9
J 9 8 6
SOUTH
T 8 4 3 2
T 8 6
7 4 3
T 2
WestNorthEastSouth
1Pass
1Pass1Pass
1NT2Double1Pass
Pass23Pass
PassPass
1Penalty

T-J-K-7. Partner cashes a spade. A-7-2-5. Then he exits a club. What is going on? Why did partner set up their K of spades? I'm still so confused. 4-3-T-J. Declarer draws more trump. 6-5-K-2. He shifts to a spade now. 9-T-K-8 of diamonds. Now back to drawing trump. 8-7-A-3 of spades.

Over to diamonds. 5-3-9-J. Now partner cashes a heart. A-6 of diamonds-6-2. Why is no one ruffing anything? Now a diamond. A-T-4-9 of clubs. Heart pitching a diamond, heart losing to partner. Partner cashes another diamond and then declarer ruffs the last one.

I don't understand the trump use in this hand at all. But we put them down 2... Maybe that's good for something?
NORTH
A
A K 9 4
A K J 8 2
7 5 4
WEST
K 6 5
Q J 5 3 2
9
J 9 8 6
EAST
Q J 9 7
7
Q T 6 5
A K Q 3
SOUTH
T 8 4 3 2
T 8 6
7 4 3
T 2
Everyone other NS pair played a contract (3 diamonds, 2 diamonds doubled, or 1NT) and went down. So we get a solo top board.


Captain Jack disagrees with my heart lead. He thinks I should lead the 8 if I lead a heart (probably right) and that I should have actually lead a diamond. Also probably right.

Ranking after board 46/60: 1/16 with 58.54%

No comments: