Sunday, May 25, 2014

Bridge Match 2 - Board 56

Board 56 - Dealer West - None Vul

Opponents convention card: Bridge World Standard
Opponents playing strength: Fair

My hand: K T A Q J 9 J 4 T 7 6 3 2

East opens a strong 1NT in 3rd chair. I guess I have a pretty decent hand to interfere a little bit, especially black on black. We're playing Cappelletti and I think I have a pretty typical 2 hearts bid. I'd rather my black king was in clubs but you can't have everything. West jumps to 4 spades which gets passed out.

Partner leads the 2 of hearts.
NORTH
2
EAST
A J
7 6 5 4 3
A Q T
A J 9
SOUTH
K T
A Q J 9
J 4
T 7 6 3 2
WestNorthEastSouth
PassPass1NT21
4PassPassPass
1Cappelletti

Hmm. The 1NT opener had 5 cards in my suit. They cap out at the 7 though! I was hoping that a heart lead would be great because dummy was going to have the missing hearts and I'd be able to finesse them but that doesn't look to be the case. 2-3-A-T. Well, either declarer has the K or he's out. But leading any other suit seems pretty sketchy too, so I fire back a heart. Q-3 of spades-8-4. Declarer draws trump. 4-2-J-K.

Do I have a good aggressive play? At this point I don't see one, so I just make declarer ruff another heart. J-8 of spades-K-5. Declarer draws my last trump with partner showing out. So he has 4 more trump tricks to go with his 3 taken tricks and 2 aces on board. And he can establish his 5th heart with another ruff, which he does. Then he pitches it away because he's got all the high diamonds too. Making 5.
NORTH
2
K 8 2
9 8 6 3 2
K Q 8 5
WEST
Q 9 8 7 6 5 4 3
T
K 7 5
4
EAST
A J
7 6 5 4 3
A Q T
A J 9
SOUTH
K T
A Q J 9
J 4
T 7 6 3 2
All 8 tables played 4 spades. 7 of them made 5, the other made 6. So we eek out 8 MPs by virtue of one table giving away a trick.


Jack disagrees with my Capp bid because he says my suit is just too bad. He may be right. And then he also disagrees with the way I signalled once I knew declarer had all the tricks. Sorry Jack. Maybe if your AI could claim that wouldn't have happened.

Ranking after board 56/60: 1/16 with 63.01%

No comments: