Tuesday, August 05, 2014

Bridge Match 3 - Board 6

Board 6 - Dealer East - EW Vul

Opponents convention card: Dutch Acol
Opponents playing strength: Advanced

My hand: A T 6 5 J A Q 9 7 6 A Q 8

I open 1 diamond in second chair. West overcalls a heart, partner makes a negative double, and East bids 2 diamonds which is alerted as a constructive raise. That's a little confusing since I feel like my team has all the points but I guess someone is lying! I wonder what my double here would show? Desire to double hearts? Good diamonds? Takeout of hearts? I won't look at what it gets alerted as until the bidding is over but I'm curious so I bid it. West retreats to 2 hearts, partner bids 2 spades, and East passes. I bid 3 spades which gets alerted and then passed out. Huh.

East leads the 7 of hearts.
NORTH
K Q 4 3
T 9 4
J 4
J T 7 2
EAST
7
SOUTH
A T 6 5
J
A Q 9 7 6
A Q 8
WestNorthEastSouth
Pass1
1Double122Double3
22Pass34
PassPassPass
1Negative
2Constructive raise
3Support double (exactly 3 spades, forcing)
4Limit raise

7-J-A-4. West returns another heart. 2-9-K-5 of spades. Ok, where are we at in this hand? We lost a heart and have potential king losers in the minors. Spades may have a loser if they split 4-1 or 5-0. So it feels like 3 spades is a pretty safe place? Assuming we have a source of tricks, anyway. I feel like both minors are reasonable sources of tricks so that's good too. Can I afford to draw trump? I need to make use of the high spades in hand to finesse the minors, but otherwise I feel like yes. So I draw a round of trump and lead a low club. 6-8-K-2. 2-9-Q-5. Hurray? I don't know how happy I am with a winning finesse though, which means I probably shouldn't have taken it. Sigh.

Ok, mistakes were made. I think it's time to just lose some tricks. I fire out a low diamond. 6-8-J-K. East returns a heart, so I get another ruff. I probably should have done that myself. 8-T of spades-6-T. I draw another round of trump and get sad. A-3 of hearts-3-7. So East still has 2 more trump. Guess I should cash more minors. I cash two rounds of diamonds, with East mirroring my club pitch. I end up being afraid West held up in clubs and just cash out for making.
NORTH
K Q 4 3
T 9 4
J 4
J T 7 2
WEST
8
A Q 6 5 3 2
T 8 5 2
5 3
EAST
J 9 7 2
K 8 7
K 3
K 9 6 4
SOUTH
A T 6 5
J
A Q 9 7 6
A Q 8
4 tables played in 4 spades with 1 making 5 and 3 making 4. Someone was in 3 spades making 5. Someone else was in 3 spades making 3. And some poor saps set 2 hearts the other way, but only 1 trick so they got a bottom. We end up with 3MPs, which was pretty terrible. I needed to go all in on playined East for having his bid and that goes a lot better.


Captain Jack disagrees with my crazy weird double. He just wants me to jump to 4 spades. He then disagrees with my 3 spade bid and wants me to jump to 4 spades. He also wants me to draw trump in the middle of the hand and to not randomly throw away a trick at the end. All of those are fair concerns, Jack. My bad.

Ranking after board 6/60: 9/16 with 48.81%

No comments: