Sunday, August 17, 2014

Bridge Match 3 - Board 8

Board 8 - Dealer West - None Vul

Opponents convention card: Dutch Acol
Opponents playing strength: Advanced

My hand: Q T 5 2 K 5 2 A 6 5 Q 7 6

West opens 1 diamond, partner passes, and East responds 2 diamonds. I double. West goes on to 3 diamonds and everyone passes.

Partner leads the 9 of hearts.
NORTH
9
EAST
A 9 3
Q 8 7
9 8 7 4
4 3 2
SOUTH
Q T 5 2
K 5 2
A 6 5
Q 7 6
WestNorthEastSouth
1Pass2Double
3PassPassPass

9-7-???. I feel like I'm probably supposed to preserve my K to cover the Q on board? Even though that might well give West his J? I guess if declarer has AJx they're getting 3 tricks in this suit regardless. And if he has AJ tight I want to hold up. So I play low. 9-7-2-J. West draws trump. 2-J-4-5. Partner goes back to hearts. 6-8-5-4. Declarer now cashes a spade. A-5-6-4. More trump being drawn. 7-6-3-Q. Partner decides to play spades now. 7-3-Q-K. Declarer cashes his heart. A-3-Q-K. Now a spade to partner. 8-J-9-2.

It would seem it's time to crack clubs. 8-2-Q-5. Ooh. I feel like declarer has 2 more clubs so the right play has to be pounding one through him. 7-K-A-3. Partner then cashes his J of clubs. I'm very confused. Why didn't declarer beat my Q of clubs with his K?

Anyway, I get the A of trump as well. Down 3.

NORTH
J 7 4
T 9 6 3
Q J
A J T 8
WEST
K 8 6
A J 4
K T 3 2
K 9 5
EAST
A 9 3
Q 8 7
9 8 7 4
4 3 2
SOUTH
Q T 5 2
K 5 2
A 6 5
Q 7 6

3 diamonds down 3 is good for a top board. Putting them down 2 would have only been worth 5 MPs, so we got 9 MPs off of that weird club play. Our side played 2 spades 4 times (making twice and up one twice) and their side played a variety of no trump contracts. 2NT down 2, 1NT down 1, and 1NT doubled just in.


Captain Jack disagrees with my double. He wants me to pass. Probably I should have passed but it felt like they were probably going to get to play a 2 diamond partscore when we had a partscore in a major. He then disagrees with my play on the first heart trick, but not that I skipped playing the K. Instead he wants me to play the 5, not the 2, to signal encouraging. For some reason I thought I should be signalling count here but I guess that's wrong. My bad.

Ranking after board 8/60: 3/16 with 60.71%

No comments: