Sunday, September 21, 2014

Bridge Match 3 - Board 13

Board 13 - Dealer North - All Vul

Opponents convention card: Bridge World Standard 2001
Opponents playing strength: Advanced

My hand: 4 3 2 9 6 A Q 9 7 3 9 8 7

Partner opens a strong 2 clubs and East interferes with a 2 spade bid. I have no idea what my bids mean at this point. I have the points to go places and probably the way to show points is to start with a double so I do that. Partner bids 3 hearts. I bid 4 diamonds. Partner bids 4 hearts. That's not where I want to play but partner is the boss here so I pass.

East leads the 3 of clubs.
NORTH
K 8
A K Q 7 5 2
T 8
A K 6
EAST
3
SOUTH
4 3 2
9 6
A Q 9 7 3
9 8 7
WestNorthEastSouth
212Double2
Pass3Pass43
Pass4PassPass
Pass
1Strong
2Take out
3Control in diamonds for hearts

I have 2 spade losers, a diamond loser, and an eventual heart club loser. I might have a heart loser too if those split 4-1. I don't really see a way to avoid most of those losers either since I'm pretty sure East has the spade honours and I don't have an entry to my hand to reach the diamonds even if I set them up. I can get rid of a diamond loser if East also has an honour there I guess. I do start by winning the first club trick. 3-7-J-A. I draw trump and they split 3-2 with East pitching a spade on the 3rd round.

I decide to fire out a diamond intending to finesse East for the J. He plays it so there's no need to finesse him for it. This actually sets up a lot of diamond tricks for me I think? At least if West wins this trick, so I better try to let him. T-J-Q-6. Bah. On the plus side now I don't lose a diamond and therefore can make the contract even losing 3 black tricks. I cash the A of diamonds and East drops the K. Turns out he had KJ tight? Sweet, that means I can cash 3 more diamonds and take all 13 tricks.

Turns out my plan of ruffing a diamond back and then hoping East was going to be forced to take the club trick and lead up to my K of spades would have worked too. Hurray?
NORTH
K 8
A K Q 7 5 2
T 8
A K 6
WEST
T 9 5
J T 4
6 5 4 2
J 5 4
EAST
A Q J 7 6
8 3
K J
Q T 3 2
SOUTH
4 3 2
9 6
A Q 9 7 3
9 8 7
2 tables played 3NT and made 7. 3 tables played 4H and made 7. Someone played 3NT making 6, someone played 3NT making 4, and someone played 6NT down 1. This gets us 8MPs.


Captain Jack disagrees with my double over 2 spades because it is supposed to be a typical takeout double and I don't have enough hearts. In fact he wants me to pass. I freely admit to not knowing the right play in this situation but passing when my partner opened 2 clubs and I have an ace seems really suspect. He then disagrees with my 4 diamond bid and has no idea why I made it. I made it because I have a diamond control and a long diamond suit and wanted to offer it as a place to play our slam, Jack. He then disagrees with my diamond play. He wants me to play more rounds of trump first. And then he disagrees with my second diamond play and wants me to play a club instead of just playing the A. I guess a club to the K and then a diamond back lets me finesse East and pick up KJx, but I'd be really worried that West held up from Kxx and I'd be giving away the contract entirely with that line of play.

Ranking after board 13/60: 3/16 with 58.79%

No comments: