Thursday, November 20, 2014

Bridge Match 3 - Board 32

Board 32 - Dealer West - EW Vul

Opponents convention card: Dutch Doubleton
Opponents playing strength: Good

My hand: K J 5 2 J 9 7 6 5 4 J 7 3

West opens 1 diamond, partner overcalls 1 spade, and East bids 2 clubs. The enemies are playing Dutch Doubleton, meaning they have at least 4 diamonds when they open 1 diamond. This means we probably don't have a place in diamonds ourselves despite my 6 card suit, and without that my hand is pretty trash. Especially with a void opposite partner's suit. So while I'd like to bid, I don't think I can or should. West jumps to 3 spades which is alerted as a splinter. East bids 4 hearts to show a control in hearts for clubs. I could double this as lead directional, but pinpointing the heart king probably helps declarer more than partner and I want him to lead a spade anyway if he ever gets in. So I pass again. West bids 4 spades to show a control in spades for clubs. I guess that means he has stiff ace? Anyway, they made some more bids and end up in 6 clubs.

I lead a low diamond, hoping to find partner with a void of his own.
WEST
9
Q 9 4 3
A K Q T
A T 6 5
SOUTH

K J 5 2
J 9 7 6 5 4
J 7 3
WestNorthEastSouth
112Pass
31Pass42Pass
43Pass4NT4Pass
55Pass6Pass
PassPass
1Splinter
2Control in hearts for clubs
3Control in spades for clubs
4Ace asking for clubs
52 aces, no queen of trump

6-Q-8-2. Interesting, West didn't have the ace of spades. I wonder why he splintered and then cuebid? Anyway, partner didn't have a void and now declarer is going to draw my trumps away. 5-4-K-3. 2-7-A-2 of spades. 6-8 of hearts-Q-J. Declarer now goes about taking tricks by leading a diamond. I wonder if he's going to finesse me? 3-9-K-6 of hearts. Ok, I have stoppers in both red suits now. Hopefully partner has spades and they won't be able to come to 12 tricks. Declarer immediately attacks spades. 9-3-4-4 of diamonds. Now a heart. 3-A-8 of clubs-5. Ok, his cuebid was a void and partner has an undisclosed 5 card major. Declarer ruffs a spade back to board. Then he plays some more cards and it doesn't matter because he's up. Making 7.
NORTH
J 7 6 5 3 2
A T 8 7 6
8
4
WEST
9
Q 9 4 3
A K Q T
A T 6 5
EAST
A K Q T 8 4

3 2
K Q 9 8 2
SOUTH

K J 5 2
J 9 7 6 5 4
J 7 3
Two tables made 6 clubs just in, two tables made 7 clubs. The rest of us played 6 clubs making 7. So we get a flat 7 MPs for this board.


Jack disagrees with my opening lead. He thinks my lead is the standard one but that underleading my K of hearts and leading up to the guy who cuebid hearts is a better plan. I think you're crazy, Jack. Especially since you have a hand with ELEVEN cards in the majors and made one bid. And that bid wasn't Michaels! And we're white on red! We may well have had a good sacrifice in hearts. I went back and forced Jack to bid 2 diamonds and it results in us playing 3 hearts doubled. Which I held to down 3, for a clear top board.

Ranking after board 32/60: 4/16 with 55.13%

No comments: