Friday, December 05, 2014

Talking To Strangers

I was streaming some Binding of Isaac runs earlier today when a random dude started watching. He chatted a bit, and I used IRC to chat back. I'd muted my mic after testing that it worked the other day and didn't feel like turning it back on. The random dude eventually lamented the fact that I didn't have a mic and when I didn't turn my mic on he unfollowed me and left.

I could have just turned on my mic and talked to the dude. Frankly, it sort of seems like the whole point of the setup. But it was hard enough just bringing myself to type to the guy. The idea of straight up talking to him, especially by needing to take an extra step and turn on my mic, freaked me out.

It probably doesn't help that I have no idea how this guy found me or why he wanted to talk to me of all people. Looking at the main Twitch site now I see that The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth is actually the 7th most popular game being watched, at almost double StarCraft 2. That's crazy! Though I guess I did buy the game by watching someone streaming it on Twitch, so maybe it's just a viral effect going on.

I know nothing bad will happen if I talk to people. I know it's a good idea to socialize even a little bit. But knowing it and doing it are very different things. I guess I'll just keep at it and see what happens.

1 comment:

Sthenno said...

Yeah, but on the other hand, that guy was probably not remotely worth the time to talk to. I was watching your stream VOD and saw those comments in the chat and thought, "Ugh, that guy thinks the world is all about him." That was from two or three sentences.

I will say that I would have enjoyed it more if you were using your mic. You probably have a lot more insight to add to most games than the vast majority of people streaming, so it would be nice to hear it. But don't feel like you have to respond to everyone who comes into your channel.

Unless you are trying to build some kind of streaming empire. Then, unfortunately, you really do have to kind of pander to people.