Friday, January 16, 2015

Bridge Match 3 - Board 49

Board 49 - Dealer North - None Vul

Opponents convention card: Majeure cinquième
Opponents playing strength: Advanced

My hand: A K J 9 T 9 5 A T 8 5 J T

I open 1NT in third seat. West doubles and partner redoubles. I have no idea what Jack thinks we're playing. Redouble here by him should be to play. My hand is pretty good for a weak NT, so I'm happy here if he is. West also passes and we get to play 1NT redoubled! Woo!

West leads the ace of clubs.
NORTH
9 7 2
J 4 2
Q 2
9 8 5 4 3
WEST
A
SOUTH
A K J 5
T 9 5
A T 8 5
J T
WestNorthEastSouth
PassPass1NT
Double1Redouble2PassPass
Pass
114+ points
2Clubs OR hearts and a second suit

Well, it turns out partner's bid was the start of a scramble using some system I don't know or don't remember. I think North's hand should bid 2 clubs here since his hand is such garbage and he actually has a 5 card suit. Without a 5 carder he should pass and let me redouble for him to start scrambling. Anyway, we are obviously dead in the water here, and I can't fathom this being anything but a bottom board. I hope to maybe take 5 tricks.

Juh? East goes and SHOWS OUT on the first trick. West has a 6 card club suit! But if he tries to set it up I actually get 2 club tricks. And then he cashes two more clubs. I now have 2 club tricks to go with my 2 spade tricks and 1 diamond trick. Endplaying west to give me the J of spades seems impossible now, but I should be able to finesse a diamond for a 6th trick. West cashes a heart and then leads a low diamond. This is pretty much screaming that he doesn't have the K, but I lose the ability to finesse diamonds if I don't take it now. So I try it, and East has the K. Now I have another finesse into West's hand. On the plus side he has shown up with 13 of his 14+ points. Anyway, I don't actually have an entry to board to get at those clubs. They have at least 4 tricks they can cash. Maybe more if East has a running heart suit. So my max is 5 tricks. I can only cash out for 3 tricks, so I might as well throw someone in and see what happens.

But first I cash a spade in case something funny goes on. Both of them show in. East has already pitched 2 spades so they only have 2 spades left between them. If West started with Qx I can actually take 3 more tricks here. And I really don't see any reasonable plays for tricks. I cash the K and West drops the Q! Woo! I even have a low spade left in hand as an entry to board! So I have 7 tricks here, but I don't have the communication to get at them. But down 1 is way better than I was expecting and they sure will cash more than 3 tricks if I give up the lead. There is one line of play that lets me make... If West's last 3 cards are diamonds and he has the J9 I can throw him in. He'll get 2 diamond tricks but then will be forced to lead a club or a diamond back. How likely is that to be the layout? Could West really be 2-1-4-6 with the stiff A of hearts? It would explain his switch away from hearts... East would have to be 4-6-3-0 for this to be the case. I guess that's not unreasonable. Is down 1 redoubled going to be worth any MPs at all? No, I actually can't see how it would be. What NS pair is going to score worse than -200? They set 3NT off the top with the spade split. But EW can make 4 hearts I think. (We get a diamond and 2 spades and nothing else.) But would they play in a 7 card fit instead of NT? I don't think so. Which means -200 should be a bottom. And I have nothing to lose by going big? Actually, under my assumed layout the same result happens if I cash out and lead a low diamond off board. West can take a club and 2 diamonds? That's not the same at all. But I can find a layout where he only gets 1 diamond. Ok, I run that. East has the J of diamonds so no plan works. Except, it turns out, the play that East is terrible. He pitched a heart and kept a low diamond so he's forced to give me the last trick in hand. 1NT REDOUBLED MAKING! SUCK IT!
NORTH
9 7 2
J 4 2
Q 2
9 8 5 4 3
WEST
Q 5
A 7
7 4 3
A K Q 7 6 2
EAST
T 8 4 3
K Q 8 6 3
K J 9 6
SOUTH
A K J 5
T 9 5
A T 8 5
J T
1NT redoubled is unsurprisingly a top board. Perhaps more surprising is the fact that 4 EW pairs made it to 4 hearts with 2 more in 3 hearts and 1 in 3 clubs. 2 of the 4 heart contracts went down, the other 2 made, so even 1NTXX-1 would have been worth 4 MPs. Cashing out was definitely right.


Jack disagrees with my pass. Because I have enough strength to bid 2 clubs. I don't understand that comment. The implication is I should pass with a weaker hand. Which is fine if his redouble shows strength, but when it shows garbage this whole thing is off. Jack also disagrees with my pitch at trick 11. I guess since 1NTXX was a top board I really should have pitched my spade. There was no way I was scoring it. And maybe someone had 3 diamonds left and would be forced to give me one?

Ranking after board 49/60: 10/16 with 49.13%

No comments: